Today’s episode took some surprising turns and I’m proud of our guest Hillary for going there with me.
Hillary and I went even deeper than I expected — we talked about money stories, trusting yourself with money, working HARD for the money (*so hard for it, honey…), and so many other incredible and highly valuable topics for any working creative professional.
For one thing, Hillary said it took 4 years for her to graduate from imposter syndrome.
She was slightly kidding, but she also wasn’t — and this is something I totally identify with too. I still have fleeting moments of feeling like a fraud when I talk about money because I’m not some kind of billionaire (yet). But her experiences are so relatable.
Like when Hillary shared what she called her “Protestant Work Ethic” believing that she had to exhaust herself and work ‘round the clock in order to “earn” every penny.
That shit is so real and exemplifies one of the biggest myths about making money that I want to bust up RIGHT NOW:
MAKING MONEY DOES NOT HAVE TO BE HARD. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE PAINFUL. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE BRUTAL, EXHAUST YOU, OR TEAR OR WEAR YOU DOWN.
And FYI, Hillary’s business DOES NOT fall apart because she decides to travel, or take a few days off, or chill for an afternoon, etc.
Remember, her parting words: Be mindful of the way you work and what’s NOT working for you NOW. Don’t wait until you’re in the hospital because you burned yourself out.
Some other things we mentioned on the show:
- The lovely and amazing Alexandra Franzen, who helped Hillary get her start in copywriting.
- Different ways of selling service-based work: by hour, by package, by day, by week, or by retainer.
- The concept of selling VALUE and not TIME. If your $2,000 sales page makes someone $1.5 Million — then it’s probably high time you raise your rates for a sales page.
- KPI = Key Performance Indicator. A metric or measurable way of evaluating your progress or performance in any particular area.
- How our parents impact our attitude towards money, for better or worse.
- Why being a millennial can make us work harder to prove we’re not “entitled” and also because there are a lot of things that are systematically harder for us than our parents.
Finally, here is a marching band Hillary can hire when she receives that $5 million. 😉 #bestanswerever
IF YOU’RE NOT IN LOVE WITH HILLARY AND ALL OF HER SAGE WISDOM, ARE YOU EVEN HUMAN?
Go follow, like, and check her out here: